Free weight workouts with dumb bells provide seniors with a number of health benefits:
- All-round strength in the upper and lower body
- Improved joint health, balance and stability
- Enhanced metabolic fitness – glucose and cholesterol
- Weight management
- Bone density maintenance
These durable neoprene-coated dumbbells are great for aerobic training, fitness and rehabilitation.
Available from 1 to 10 pounds in 1 pound increments.
Weight training is not dangerous for older people as long as you take a few precautions.
- Ask your doctor for clearance
- Take advice about medications. Diabetics using drugs or injectable insulin may need adjustments.
- Drink sufficient fluids — more if it’s hot.
- Stop if something hurts – other than the discomfort of muscular effort. See How to Lift Weights Safely
- Start slowly and work up to heavier weights and more repetitions to suit your existing level of fitness and capability.